What causes acne scars and dark marks?
A defective healing process causes the spots to leave on your skin after a pimple has healed. When you have a pimple or any other abrasion or wound on your skin, it undergoes a healing process. When this healing process is defective, the skin will heal with a dark spot (too much melanin) or a depressed scar (like a crater in your skin). Picking, popping, or even just touching a pimple can increase the risk of leaving a scar. The depressed, sunken acne scars occur when normal tissue in the skin is destroyed and replaced with fibrous tissue. These scars start to form when the healing process results in vertical collagen fibers (scar tissue ) pulling down on the skin and causing a crater-like lesion.
Five factors that will make your acne scars deeper and darker
A few factors determine the number and severity of acne scars.
- Acne severity: Deeper, more severe acne will lead to more scars).
- How soon do you treat your acne? Pimples and acne cysts that stay untreated longer have a bigger chance of leaving scars. So early treatment of your acne is the best way to prevent future acne scars.
- Genetic tendency. Look at the skin of your parents and uncles. Some families have a greater tendency to have acne that heals with scars. In these families, even milder acne can result in long-term scars.
- Squeezing pimples will increase the risk of scars.
- Spending more time in the sun will make your acne scars to be darker and more prominent.
What is the best way to fade dark acne scars?
The gold standard of prescription dermatologists' skin lightening formula, the Kligman formula, includes hydroquinone, the ingredient to fade dark spots, hydrocortisone, meant to reduce the irritation associated with higher percentages of hydroquinone and retinoic acid to enhance the penetration of the hydroquinone. The cons of this formula are the high % of hydroquinone that can, in rare instances, darken the skin and the high cost of dermatologist's visits and prescription compounded medicines.
What is MDacne's Advanced Dark Spot Remover?
Dark spot corrector by MDacne is the world's first Kilgman formula alternative available for direct purchase without a prescription. Based on the Dermatologist gold standard, Kligman's formula contains arbutin, a safe hydroquinone derivative, together with BHA (Beta hydroxy acids) and retinoids to enhance penetration and plant-based anti-inflammatory agents to minimalize irritation and side effects. Allowed for sensitive skin and skin colors, it should always be combined with morning sunscreen (SPF 30).
How to Treat and prevent acne and dark spots at the same time?
Inspired by the most effective dermatologist-formulated dark spot-fighting prescription (Kligman's formula), this revolutionary cream is the most potent dark spot treatment available without a prescription. Similar to dark spot treatments prescribed by dermatologists, the MDacne dark spot removal cream contains a safe hydroquinone derivative together with retinoids and beta & hydroxy acids, which help the arbutin penetrate deeper into your skin, giving it a brighter, luminous appearance.
What does magic mean?
- Arbutin: is a naturally occurring plant-derived compound in the leaves of several different plant species, including barberry, blueberry, cranberry, and pear trees. The arbutin molecule is very similar to the hydroquinone molecule with an attached sugar molecule. Arbutin reduces melanin's excessive production in dark spots by inhibiting tyrosinase. It helps reduce the overproduction of melanin while keeping the melanocytes unharmed. Combined with other wild berry extracts, a retinoid, alpha-hydroxy acid, and antioxidants, it is arguably the most effective hydroquinone-free anti-dark spots ingredient.
- Bearberry extract: comes from the leaves of the bearberry plant and is believed to be the world's best plant-based dark spot remover. It works by inhibiting the enzyme tyrosinase, which produces melanin in the skin. Coming from a botanical source, bearberry extract for skin lightening contains antioxidants and anti-inflammatory agents that protect against free radical damage and UV rays and prevent the formation of new melanin in existing dark spots.
- Indian gooseberry extract is a natural extract of Indian gooseberry, also known in ayurvedic medicine as Amla. Rich in vitamin C helps reduce hyperpigmentation, helps reduce acne, and help provides a healthier, smoother appearance to your skin.
- Aloe Vera Leaf Extract: has soothing and antioxidant properties and hydrates your skin.
- Glycolic Acid (AHA): this naturally occurring alpha-hydroxy fruit acid is used to lighten uneven excessive skin pigment in professional settings. Through exfoliation, glycolic acid enhances the penetration of ingredients to achieve better performance for faster, visible results.
- Salicylic Acid (BHA): works like a superficial professional peel. It brightens the skin and increases the effects of dark spot-fighting compounds.
- Sunflower Oil is a naturally derived plant oil that is super moisturizing, made of 60% linoleic acid, and rich in antioxidant vitamin E.
- Retinyl Palmitate: Retinyl Palmitate is a retinol ester (retinol) combined with palmitic acid (a saturated fatty acid). In the body, it gets converted to pure retinol and then to active retinoic acid, which increases cell turnover in the epidermis for faster removal of excess melanin.
- Vitamin E: An antioxidant that prevents free radical skin damage and protects the natural skin barrier.
What to expect?
Start to see results in as little as one to two weeks with this highly effective hyperpigmentation treatment. With consistent, daily application, you can expect significant results within 2-3 months (8-12 weeks).
Perfect for Every Skin Type
- Even Skin Tone: Clear away spots and reveal your radiance! This cream for hyperpigmentation has been designed to smooth out skin tone to leave your complexion even and bright.
- Prevents Hyperpigmentation : This potent brightening cream prevents dark spots from developing by exfoliating dead skin and keeping pores unclogged. Retinoids, glycolic, and salicylic acid work to keep skin fresh while breaking down pore blockages so that they don't result in blotchy skin. Keep your skin clear of new spots while your old spots disappear.
- Deeply Hydrating : Aloe Vera, silk amino acids, and Sunflower Oil make this a luxurious, brightening moisturizer to keep your skin hydrated and glowing.
- Safe and Effective : Dermatologists formulated with selected ingredients create a revolutionary, safe, and highly effective brightening cream for even the most sensitive skin.
Q1. What causes acne scars and dark marks?
A1. Acne scars and dark marks are caused by a defective healing process after a pimple or any other skin abrasion has healed. When the healing process is faulty, the skin may heal with a dark spot due to an excess of melanin or a depressed scar that resembles a crater. Factors such as picking, popping, or touching a pimple can increase the risk of scarring. Additionally, deeper and more severe acne, delayed treatment of acne, genetic tendency, and prolonged sun exposure can contribute to the formation of acne scars.
Q2. What are the factors that can make acne scars deeper and darker?
A2. Several factors can determine the severity and darkness of acne scars:
- Acne severity: Deeper and more severe acne is more likely to result in scars.
- Delayed treatment: Pimples and acne cysts that are left untreated for a longer duration have a higher chance of leaving scars. Early treatment of acne is crucial in preventing future acne scars.
- Genetic tendency: Some families are more predisposed to develop acne scars, even with milder acne. Observing the skin of your parents and relatives can indicate your own risk.
- Pimple squeezing: Squeezing or popping pimples can increase the risk of scarring.
- Sun exposure: Spending more time in the sun can cause acne scars to appear darker and more prominent.
Q3. What is the best way to fade dark acne scars?
A3. The gold standard for fading dark acne scars is the Kligman formula, often prescribed by dermatologists. It consists of a combination of ingredients that work synergistically to lighten dark spots. The formula includes hydroquinone, which fades dark spots, hydrocortisone to reduce irritation, and retinoic acid to enhance the penetration of hydroquinone. However, this formula has some drawbacks, such as the potential for rare instances of skin darkening and the high cost associated with dermatologist visits and prescription compounded medicines.
Q4. What is MDacne's Advanced Dark Spot Remover?
A4. MDacne's Advanced Dark Spot Remover is an alternative to the Kligman formula that can be purchased directly without a prescription. It is based on the gold standard of dermatologists' skin-lightening formulas. This dark spot corrector contains arbutin, a safe hydroquinone derivative, along with BHA (Beta hydroxy acids) and retinoids to enhance penetration. It also includes plant-based anti-inflammatory agents to minimize irritation and potential side effects. The Advanced Dark Spot Remover is suitable for sensitive skin and can be used by individuals with different skin colors. It is recommended to always combine its usage with morning sunscreen (SPF 30).
Q5. How can acne and dark spots be treated and prevented simultaneously?
A5. Inspired by the most effective dermatologist-formulated dark spot-fighting prescription (Kligman's formula), MDacne has developed a revolutionary cream that is the most potent dark spot treatment available without a prescription. Similar to prescribed dark spot treatments, this cream combines a safe hydroquinone derivative with retinoids and beta & hydroxy acids. These ingredients help arbutin penetrate deeper into the skin, resulting in a brighter and more luminous appearance.
To learn more about MDacne's Advanced Dark Spot Remover or make a purchase, click here!
To find the right acne treatments for your unique skin, take the free skin assessment by clicking here.