Certain drugs, including corticosteroids, lithium, anticonvulsants, barbiturates, androgenic steroids, DHEA, and medications that contain bromides or iodides, can cause true acne or acne-like eruptions.
More comment medications that make acne worse:
- Oral corticosteroids (e.g., Prednisolone, Dexamethasone)
- Anabolic steroids (e.g. Danazol, Stanozolol, Nandrolone)
- Progesterone only contraceptives (e.g., Progesterone only pill, Implanon, Mirena coil)
- Lithium mood stabilizers
- Anti-epileptics (e.g. Carbamazepine, Phenytoin)
- Anti-tuberculous drugs (e.g., Rifampicin, Isoniazid, Ethambutol)
- Immunosuppressant drugs (e.g., Ciclosporin, Azathioprine)
To find the right acne treatments for your unique skin, take the free skin assessment by clicking here.