Makeup does not cause acne if you choose the right makeup and follow these tips:
- Always remove your makeup before you go to sleep.
- Remove the makeup with your medicated cleanser or oil-free wipes. Do not use electric brushes or a washcloth as these will damage the protective layers of your skin and cause more breakouts.
- Always look for makeup labeled oil-free and non-comedogenic (meaning it won't clog pores!)
- Don’t use alcohol-based (listed as SD or denatured alcohol) makeup or products. This specific ingredient can trigger a reaction that causes more acne breakouts and oiliness.
- Avoid thick or solid makeup products like concealer sticks or creamy compact foundations. These products contain ingredients that keep them in a solid or semi-solid form, which can clog pore and exacerbate acne-prone skin.
More info: Best Makeup for acne
To find the right acne treatments for your unique skin, take the free skin assessment by clicking here.