Have blackheads that are driving you nuts? Pore cleansing strips can be a great option to get rid of blackheads, but you have to make sure you're using them correctly! Here are some dermatologist recommendations for using pore strips (such as the MDacne Blackheads Removal Strips) most safely and effectively.
- Cleanse First: Make sure to always cleanse your skin before using any pore cleansing strips. Cleansing will help remove excess oil and enable the strips to be most effective. Using a medicated cleanser such as your customized MDacne cleanser will also help loosen blackheads and other pore-clogging material for more painless extraction.
- Use Steam: For best results, take a warm shower or bath to help open pores. You can also give your face gentle steam at home. Ensure the steam is warm and not too hot to avoid overheating or potential burning of the skin. Always keep your face at least a foot-and-a-half away from hot water and never steam for more than five minutes at a time.
- Wet The Skin: Before you apply the pore strip, make sure your skin is totally wet in the area of application. If your skin's dry, the pore strip won't stick!
- Wait it Out: Leave the strip on your skin for 10-20 minutes or until the strip hardens for optimal effect.
- Remove Gently: This is not an occasion when you want to "rip off the bandaid". Once the strip has hardened, remove it gently to protect the skin and optimize the chances of effective extraction.
Safety Tip: Never use pore strips near your eyes — the skin near your eyes is too thin and sensitive.
Using pore cleansing strips can be an excellent addition to the acne treatment regimen. When used with the right medicated skin care products, pore cleansing strips can help keep blackheads and other breakouts at bay. However, limit use to 1x/week and use branded products such as the MDacne strips or other pore strips available at drugstores. DIY strips may seem like fun but can really damage the skin!
If you wanna know all the pros and cons of pore cleansing strips, here they are:
The pros: They're a safe and effective way to remove pesky blackheads and clogged pores! When used correctly, there is a limited risk of damage to your skin, especially compared to pinching and squeezing blackheads yourself.
The cons: When not used correctly (or using the wrong kind of strip), they can irritate sensitive skin. And while these strips can be a great addition to your skincare regimen, they're not a permanent solution and won't prevent future blackheads from forming.
To reduce blackheads the most effectively, use pore cleansing strips alongside an effective and medicated acne treatment system that's personalized to your skin type and acne severity. To find the right products for your unique skin, take the free MDacne skin assessment here!
How to get rid of blackheads?