The only kind of a pimple that should be popped is the kind of pimples that have a yellow bulge in the middle (pustules). This yellow bulge is an accumulation of pus. This pus is made of dead skin cells, dead white blood cells (leukocytes) and bacteria.
How to pop a pimple:
- Wash your hands well with soap.
- Use a sterile needle. Alternatively, sterilize a fine sewing needle or a straight pin with a match or a lighter and allow it to cool.
- Wipe the pimple with a bit of alcohol.
- Hold the needle, parallel to the surface of your skin and pierce the tip of the pimple’s yellow center.
- Find a cotton swab and gently press it around the pimple.
- Be gentle, if the contents don’t come out easily, don’t force it!
- Apply on the pimple an acne absorbing patch or a bit of Vaseline/Aquaphor.
- Reapply the ointment after you wash your face or shower.
- If using acne absorbing patch, no need to reapply. They usually last a few days.
To find the right acne treatments for your unique skin, take the free skin assessment by clicking here.